Three Unwise Pies for the Holidays
Written by Diet Bites
The healthiest pie choices amid the tempting holiday season.
Three Holiday Pies That Will Blow Your Diet To Smithereens
Three wise men have just hit the Diet Village with important news. Stop. Three pies that have more calories than camels have humps. Stop.
Here is the scoop:
1. Pecan Pie - anywhere from 500 to 850 calories per sugary slice. It is made with almost 100% sugar based ingredients by Sugar Elves - minus the crust and the nuts, of course. Even so, these two ingredients can rival the caloric content of the sugar and we enter into another element: the realm of fat.
Resist and flee to the hills when confronted with this Unwise Diet Pie.
2. Raisin Pie - Savory raisins mixed frequently with a rum base contain more calories than your Christmas Tree did gifts this year. About 650 calories for teensy slice.
If you eat this pie while dieting, Santa will leave coal in your stockings and undergear. This is considered triple-X Diet Naughty.
3. Mincemeat Pie - Similar to Raisin Pie and just as hefty in regards to calories. Run, don't walk, to the fruit bowl. No - not the eggnog bowl, the FRUIT bowl! Good! Much better... click here for Three Wise Men's Naughty Cake Choices
So what pies are safe to eat when the little dieter is thrown into the holiday season? Or should they just stick their thumb into their beak and pull it out, hoping for a tasty plum? Then again, that only happens in fairytale land.
There are some healthier selections that you can enjoy - but do not forget to add the caloric values to your daily totals. Once you go amuck amid the holiday madness, it's difficult to stop. So grab some holiday ribbon and yes - wrap it around that little pinky, but not too tightly. Just enough pressure so that you remember that you are trying to lose weight amid the madness.
Let's look at some of the healthier pie choices:
1. Pumpkin - It made a nice and airy coach for Cinderella and helped her land her fella - and it can work magic for you too in keeping caloric values as well as dietary fat grams to a minimum where pie is involved. Some contain as few as 150 calories per slice.
2. Apple Pie - It's an American tradition whether it's prepared with apples or pears. The downside is the crusty area; if you prepare this beauty in the comfort of your own kitchen, then decide if you want an upper or lower crust and omit the one that you can live without. Doing such will subtract 100 or more calories from each slice.
3. Strawberry Pie - At less than 50 calories per cup, the strawberry is a magnificent healthy specimen and candidate for pie-baking amid the holidays - or not. Prepare the glaze with sugar substitute, if possible. In addition, opting for an egg-white based meringue crust which is one of the lower calorie crusts.
As a note, all fruit pies make a healthier choice over cream-based and nut-based varieties. If you can opt to reduce the sugar, then please do as it contains close to 800 calories per cup and many holiday pies contain more than one.
If you don't mind sugar substitute, then opting for such can save quite a few calories without impacting the texture and flavor to a great extent.
In addition, keep the crust to one when you can - as noted, two equals double the crust calories.