Calories in Green Beans, Calories
Written by Sky Taylor, Diet Bites
Commonly Referred to as Snap Beans
Green beans are often referred to as 'snap beans', especially when taken fresh from the garden.
Green beans are among the foods that are lowest in calories while still offering substantial nutritional benefits.
If purchasing canned green beans, opt for those lowest in sodium content.
Calories in Green Beans
Calories in canned - about 22 calories per 1/2 cup.
Calories in 1 cup of snap, raw - 31 calories. Ten fresh green beans that are about 4" in length contain about 17 calories.
They are a good source for other nutrients and vitamins in the daily diet. One cup of fresh green beans contains:
1.83 grams of protein
Diet & Cooking Tips, Low Calorie Recipes for Green Beans
- Season with no calorie butter spray to save additional calories. A bit of seasoning will also go a long weigh! Or is that way? No - it's definitely weigh!
- For green bean casseroles opt for reduced-fat mushroom soup over the full-blown versions and use low fat milk to thin the soup over whole milk. Use only half of the recommended amount of dried onions.
- Steamed green beans retain their bright green color and when the whole bean is used they make a beautiful presentation on the plate.
When dieting, the appearance of food on the plate is very important and may assist in keeping the dieter's satisfactory level higher.
When boredom or despair settles into a diet plan and we're just not happy with the appearance of the foods we're eating, it's so easy to fall off the Diet Wagon and resume our former diet - one that was packed with too many calories and caused the weight gain issues.
- If you enjoy Three Bean Salad you can create a tasty, lower calorie homemade version. Simply purchase kidney beans - either dark or light, green beans and wax beans in canned form. Drain thoroughly. Using a small pan add 1 can of white vinegar and heat; add Splenda for sweetening or use about 1/4 cup of sugar. Pour over the green beans and marinate a few hours before enjoying.
- For a quick green bean recipe that's very low in calories, drain 2 medium cans of green beans OR use 1 giant can and drain. Add your favorite light salad dressing to the beans - just enough to coat the green beans. Walnut raspberry, lemon poppyseed or Italian light dressings all work exceptionally well. Chill before serving.
- Cooks and chefs generally add a little pork or bacon to fresh green beans amid the boiling process to add flavor. You can achieve the same tasty flavor by boiling the green beans then adding a few jarred lean bacon bits after cooking. Be sure to use bacon bits that are real bacon - not the ones that mimic the bacon flavor.
Nutrition Facts, Calories in Raw Green Beans
Diet Bites is a Trademark