Calories in Eggplant
Written by Sky Taylor, Diet Bites
How Many Calories in Eggplant?
1 cup of cubed raw eggplant contains 20 Kcals.
1 unpeeled specimen that is approximate 1 1/4 pounds contains about 132 Kcals.
1 peeled specimen that is approximate 1 1/4 pounds contains about 110 Kcals.
One cup of cubed and boiled contains about 35 Kcals.
Pickled varieties contain about 67 calories per cup.
This super food is a great source for other vitamins and minerals required in the daily diet. One cup of cubed contains 7 mg of calcium, 189 mg of potassium, 2.8 dietary fiber grams and 1.8 mg of Vitamin C. It is minimal in dietary fat content.
Diet Tips & Low Calorie Recipes for Eggplant
- This super food makes an ideal substitute for meat. To add a bit of texture, slice, then dip into a slightly beaten egg white OR egg substitute that contains both yolk and white. Dredge the eggplant in flour, then cook until golden brown and crispy in a pan that has been sprayed generously with non stick cooking spray.
Cover with your favorite marinara sauce if desired and add a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.
- It also makes a great sandwich on bread that has been toasted to a golden crust. For our diet eggplant toaster sandwich recipe that is low in calories & low in fat, click here for 'The Ricky'.
- Panko breading crumbs are delicious with this super food. Simply dip slices into egg white and coat with the crumbs. Cook in a pan sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking, or use a minimal of peanut oil. You can also bake in the oven if desired for even less calories.
- When topping cooked eggplant with cheese, opt for low fat mozzarella or the grated Parmesan cheese. Low fat mozzarella cheese is very low in calories - about 50 calories per slice and it makes the eggplant zing with flavor.
It's also a fun cheese because it pulls as it's eaten. One note of caution for smaller children; be very careful when feeding cheese to children under six in particular as cheese can ball-up in the throat and cause a choking hazard.
Shopper's Notes for Eggplant
- Avoid shriveled specimen's as they may taste bitter.
- Use a bit of citrus juice to prevent browning.
Nutrition Facts & Calories in Raw Eggplant
Diet Bites is a Trademark