Healthier Recipes for Weight Loss
Written by Diet Bites
How to turn Heart Attack on a Plate into Heaven Above the Clouds.
One of the quickest methods for getting rid of excess body fat is to work on making the recipes that we use most in our humble kitchen, healthier.
Whether you're trying to drop excess body fat - or if you've lost weight and you don't want to gain it back, making healthier foods is a step in the right direction.
And if you're the Chef and Chief Bottle Washer at your humble home, you know that the time you spend cooking in the kitchen allows time for Diet Temptation.
It's so easy to sample all the delicious foods - a bite here and a bite there, and before we know what's happened, we've regained all the lost weight and find ourselves on a diet yet again.
Tips for Keeping Recipes Healthy
1. In order to trim the fat from the body, we must trim fat from recipes. Examples include switching to a healthier oil. Rather than corn oil, opt for extra virgin olive oil or peanut or canola oil.
When a recipe calls for one cup of oil, butter, shortening or margarine, can you trim back on this amount without impacting texture and flavor?
Most of the time, you can. Cutting back by 1/4 is a good place to begin.
Or - try substituting the recommended amounts of fat with smashed fruits or vegetables. When using vegetables, at times they may need to be precooked. Fruits and vegetables can add flavor and moistness to recipes when substitutedfor oil.
2. When using sour cream, milk, yogurt, butter milk, cottage cheese and other varieties of cheese in recipes, opt for the reduced or lower fat versions of these products to slash calories and fat.
3. When making homemade dressings for spreads and salads, consider making fruit-based recipes over creamy.
4. Soups with a creamy base will be more fatty and hold more calories than those with a broth-base.
5. When dealing with sugar, can you get by with less? Rather than sugar, what about honey? It's a healthier alternative. As to sugar substitutes, they are very acidic once they go through the metabolic process. We recommend real sugar over the substitutes.
6. Create healthy juices from fresh fruits and vegetables - and try adding more milk to your meals rather than sugary soda and other high calorie beverages containing empty calories.
7. Reducing the serving size at meal time can allow for leftovers. Most Americans eat far more than a normal recommended serving size.
8. When preparing gravy, those with a broth base will contain less fat and calories in comparison to the cream-based gravy recipes.
9. When preparing homemade bread, top with oats, honey and other ingredients to add another layer of nutrition.
Changes in American Lifestyle Equals Weight Loss as Well as Weight Gain
Eons ago, it was good to have all that fat pumping through the old bod.
A man could burn up to 6,000 calories per day when physically plowing his fields, especially when there wasn't an ox in sight.
Women used to sweat buckets, making the breads from fresh grains, whipping up lye soap, pouring up candles, and dragging buckets of water to the house for those weekly family baths.
All this, and no Secret, no Right Guard, no Tabu, no Brut.
And they didn't have television, movies, computers or video games to lull away the evening hours.
Their entertainment consisted of watching a pretty sunset, or the children play on the dirt-bed of the front yard. When the sun sank, it time to hit the hay or back then, the feather-bed.
On that note, eight hours of restful sleep will make an "unmeasureable" positive contribution to your overall level of health.
Although our lifestyles have gotten less physical (in most cases), we appear to have more stress, more things to do before turning in for the day.
As we can't control a lot of things, we CAN control some. Eating is definitely something that we can control. We make choices; the choices are either good, or bad.
On that note, making recipes healthier can assist in both losing weight as well as prevent the lost weight from making an unwelcome return.
Natural, Healthier Foods Create the Perfect Diet Plan
By creating your own Heart Warming recipes, you'll be avoiding the unhealthier packaged commercial items that generally, pay more attention to what tastes good than being health-minded.
And if an individual is accustomed to consuming fat and foods high in salt, then that's going to taste better to them, as well as mask the taste of the bland ingredients.
On the other hand, a healthier diet incorporates TASTE and TEXTURE.
Why mask the sweet, delicious, crisp snap of a bite of an apple with sugar, cinnamon, and nuts? Eve didn't, so why should we? Go apple! Go health!
And the fact is, our bodies weren't created to process man-manufactured foods. They were made to process the natural gifts from God such as fruits, berries, nuts, vegetables, eggs and milk.
Listed below is an arsenal of suggestions for healthier ingredient replacements in your recipes.
Tips for Absorbing Fat Calories
- Always take advantage of pressing out extra grease with paper towels. The towels can make a piece of microwaved bacon one very lean strip of ham.
Skimming Excess Fat Away, Healthier Cooking Methods for Losing Excess Body Fat
- For soups, allow the soup to cool and then skim off all fat that collects at the top of the pot or bowl.
- Whenever possible, opt for fat-free/light/lite/sugar-free/reduced fat items.
- Go for baked, broiled, roasted over pan-fried any day of the week! Fried foods are bad business and should be enjoyed in moderation.
Vegetable Proteins for Slashing Unhealthy Lipid Content of Foods
- Choose chicken, turkey, fish and pork over red meats OR better yet, opt for vegetable proteins over animal proteins.
Tips for Reducing Fat in Animal Proteins
- When eating animal proteins, always strip away the fatty skins on meat.
- White meats contain less fat and calories as the dark meats.
- Liver and other organ meats contain 'TILT' levels of cholesterol, so avoid when possible.
However, do get that dose of liver every now and then as it provides nutrients that can't be obtained from other food sources (at least once every 90 days according to Mom).
Vegetables & Fruits Rule in Healthy Diets
- Incorporate an assortment of vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes (beans), reduced fat dairy products, and leaner cuts of meat into your diet.
Diet Bites is a Trademark