Dates: A Super Food with a Fiber Boost
Written by Sky Taylor, Diet Bites
A surprising source of potassium, dates also provide jazz to salads, fruit desserts & make an excellent healthy choice for appetizer trays.
They are not only beautiful, but also naturally sweet. And who doesn't want to tag along with a sweet date?
Other nutrition facts surrounding the Super Food, Dates
- This super food is exceptionally minimal in dietary fat grams. The Deglet Noor contains 0.57 grams per cup and 0.3 grams per date while the Medjool contains 0.15 grams per cup and per single 0.04.
- It's naturally low in caloric values with the Medjool containing 66 calories each and the Deglet Noor, only 20.
But we need to examine these values based on 100 grams to level the playing field. At per 100 grams the Deglet Noor contains 282 calories while the Medjool contains 277 - so on this basis, they are fairly even. However, the Medjool is a much larger specimen than the Deglet Noor.
- Dates are naturally low in sodium and a good source for natural dietary fiber; who wants to choke on fiber supplements when we can get our fix naturally? And much cheaper, too. Natural is almost always best, particularly when it comes to the human body and fulfilling its primary nutritional needs.
Take note that in the areas of Vitamin C, Sodium - as well as other nutritional areas, one specimen may indicate a zero value, but as more fruit is added to the serving, the values will appear. For example, 1 Medjool contains zero sodium and Vitamin C but per cup the values equal 0.6 mgs of Vitamin C and 3 mg of sodium.
- These sweet babies are a good source for fiber when more than one specimen is consumed.
- Look for dates during the holidays that are sold in bulk in the produce section at your local market. They usually have a set of tongs that are used to remove them from a good-sized box. These are generally exceptionally fresh - so beware as they are apt to jump out and kiss you on the lips.
Serving Suggestion for Dates, The Super Food
Adding Bling With Dates to Your Weight Loss Plan
- Add dates to your favorite quick bread recipe for a healthy boost of fiber. OR, add to the Diet Bites low calorie muffin recipe.
- Add to couscous, wild rice and stuffing.
- And they are absolutely delicious when enjoyed in their natural state.
When I was a child we could have lived in a large white tooth - because our family had the largest sweet tooth of any family on the block.
My mom always had a sweet treat sitting on the kitchen table, no matter how poor that we were or how short funds were at the time. She mixed her cakes and pies from scratch; in those days - the home chef didn't just waltz into the store and purchase a pre-formed pie crust - one that was just waiting to be filled with a commercially produced can of pie filling, then slipped into the oven.
She had to boil and prepare the filling as well as the crust - and she was a master home chef, no doubt about that.
One of my favorite childhood recipes was her date nut roll which was basically dates, chopped pecans and yes - a boat-load of different types of sugar. Here's to rotten teeth and fond memories....
Deglet Dates, Calories & Nutrition Facts
Mejool Dates, Calories & Nutrition Facts
Let's do a nutritional check of the values of this super food:
Diet Bites is a Trademark