Apricot: A super food starring Fiber
Written by Sky Taylor, Diet Bites
Three apricots contain about 50 calories. What a Diet Deal!
But there is more good health news for health and weight watchers when it comes to this Super Food:
Other nutrition facts surrounding the Super Food, Apricot:
- They are very low in dietary fat content at 0.14 grams per fruit.
- They are rich in dietary fiber at about 2 grams per serving (3 fruits).
- They are also a good source for beta-carotene.
- This fruit may reduce risks for certain cancers.
- They can greatly assist individuals who are watching their weight, as well as those such as diabetics who must monitor their daily intake of sugar; the apricot satisfies and makes a lovely dessert.
- The potassium found in apricots may reduce heart related health risks; one tiny fruit contains an impressive 91 mgs.
- Apricots come in a convenient package via compliments of Mother Nature making them ideal for transporting to school, work - and they make a great 'grab' for snacks.
Serving Suggestion for Apricot, The Super Food
Let's enjoy a couple of diet recipes involving this luscious fruit.
Apricot Pork Chops Recipe
You can opt for fresh apricots to prepare this recipe if you wish or purchase the canned varieties.
If you use fresh, simply remove the skins and cook until bubbly with a bit of water.
Add cornstarch mixed with water to thicken.
Serve over pork chops or chicken & rice laced with golden raisins.
Apricot Pudding Recipe
You'll need a ring mold for this recipe. Purchase two large boxes of flan pudding and prepare as directed on the box. Transfer to the ring mold that has been sprayed with cooking spray - to prevent sticking when unmolding.
As a note, the caramel needs to be placed on top of the mold so that is it on the bottom, once the pudding is removed from the mold.
When set, umold and 'frost' with non fat or low fat whipped topping that has been tinted with yellow food coloring. Or, you can leave it white if you wish.
Mix the apricots with a large box of apricot gelatin and allow to set in the refrigerator - just until it starts to gel. Remove and transfer to the center of the flan pudding that is frosted with the whipped topping.
Return to the fridge until the gelatin is fully set.
This makes a beautiful presentation for parties or special events and is relatively easy to prepare.
Calories in Apricots, Nutrition Facts
Diet Bites is a Trademark