Quick & Easy Applesauce Cake
1 cup of applesauce
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of vegetable oil [we used peanut oil]
1 cup of sugar - and feel free to substitute all the sugars with a substitute if you wish
1/2 cup of brown sugar
3 eggs - any size will work
1 heaping teaspoon of vanilla extract
1¼ teaspoon of baking powder
¼ teaspoon of baking soda
¼ teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of ground cinnamon
2 cups of peeled & chopped apples
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
You can glaze with more nuts in addition to a powdered sugar glaze. To prepare the glaze, simply add a bit of water to powdered sugar. Wait until the cake cools a bit before glazing. If glazed when the cake is piping hot, it won't adhere easily and will end up running down into the serving plate while melting into the cake.
1. Place all of the dry ingredients into one large bowl, placing the raw chopped apples and walnuts to one side. We won't add this until we have mixed our batter.
2. Place all of the wet ingredients into another bowl.
3. Add the dry mixture to the wet and incorporate well - into a smooth batter.
4. Stir in the walnuts and apples.
5. Pour into baking pan and place into a preheated 375 degree oven for about 40 to 60 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool for about five or so minutes in the baking pan before attempting to unmold. This will allow it to shrink a bit as it cools, making it easy to pop out.
Be sure to unmold on a heat-resistant plate.
The entire cake contains about 3,000 calories. The sugar adds quite a lot at about 800 kcals per cup. Brown sugar contains slightly less calories than white granulated - but is still very hefty in caloric values. In addition, each cup of flour adds about 400 calories to the recipe.
When prepared in a bundt pan, there should be about 24 servings rendered which equals about 125 calories per serving OR for a dozen large servings, about 250 kcals per serving.