Diet & Plans
Low Calorie Easy Tortilla Soup Recipe
Article by Diet Bites
The Recipe Ingredients
As a note, we like the cooked chicken found in the cold cut section by the cheese at most markets.
1 cup of prepared chicken, breast meat + 1 container of chicken broth, low salt
1 Tablespoon of Melted Margarine - we like Move Over Butter, 50 calories
1/2 a bunch of fresh cilantro
1 lime - small size will be fine
1 Tablespoon of ground chili powder + 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/3 cup of chopped onion
shredded low fat mozzarella cheese OR shredded gruyere
tortilla strips - or crushed tortilla chips, low sodium variety if possible
How to Prepare
The key to all great tortilla soup recipes include: limes, cilantro, melted cheese with the chips. The remaining ingredients can be part of any other tasty soup recipe - but these four are the ones that make this soup unique in flavor and in texture. After all, we don't put tortilla strips into chicken noodle soup - or even mozzarella cheese.
To prepare, follow these easy steps:
1. Use a deep pot.
2. Start by adding the onion and cilantro to the melted margarine and allow the vegetable to cook until the onion is translucent. Using the margarine in this manner will assist in drawing out precious oils from the vegetables, thus rendering a more flavorful soup than if we had simply boiled them with the other ingredients.
3. Add the chicken and stir to coat in the margarine.
4. Add the spices - chili powder and cumin and stir to coat. You'll need to work quickly at this stage, adding the broth so that the chicken doesn't stick to the pot. Once the spices become part of the cooking vessel - they work to absorb any type of liquid, including the oil.
5. Allow the mixture to get hot before placing into warmed soup bowls.
6. Cut the lime into quarters and remove the seeds.
7. Add one quarter of lime to each bowl.
8. Top with shredded cheese and tortilla strips - or sit them on the table so that everyone can add as much cheese or strips that they wish.
We have always promoted personalization of foods at the dining table because it allows everyone the privilege of enjoying their meals as they wish - rather than how the cook prefers.
This is a very simple recipe that is easy to prepare. When using prepared chicken - your meal can be on the table in about 10 minutes.
We find the following Food Groups in this recipe: Protein, Dairy, Vegetable, Grain. For a serving from the Fruit Group you can add a few diced tomatoes to the recipe - or slices of avocado on the side that can be enjoyed with the meal.