Bloating - Causes & Cures
Written by Sky Taylor, Diet Bites
Evil Hip Bloat
Evil Hip Bloat - there's nothing on the planet quite like it. That feeling of fullness, of weight gain - of defeat as jeans can only be zipped by lying on a flat object and sucking-in. Tips to assist in relieving bloating and gas are located here at Diet Bites.
What causes bloating?
Excess gas which may have formed, or accumulated by the types of foods in the diet, the excess of certain foods in the diet, digestive issues, or by 'swallowed' air.
Which food is less likely to cause Diet Bloat and gas? Milk, Broccoli or Bananas?
The answer is 'bananas' which can actually calm the gut while reducing bloating and gas issues. Other foods that can upright a bloated or gassy gut include: applesauce and yogurt.
Bloating Caused by Foods, Including Foods That Cause Bloating & Gas
- Sugar Substitutes can create painful bloating and gas issues within minutes to hours after consumption.
- An excess of fiber in the daily diet can cause bloating and gas issues. Foods high in fiber include: barley, dried fruits, beans, and oats.
- Fiber supplements can create more gas than your body knows what to do with. Cure: Obtain fiber naturally through a healthy daily diet.
- Dairy products can also be associated with bloating and gas in individuals with lactose intolerance.
- Other foods that can trigger and cause bloating include: onions, garlic, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli.
How to avoid swallowing air to prevent bloating & gas issues.
- Chronic constipation can be attributed to bloating and gas, and may also be associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Drugs, vitamins and supplements, particularly fiber supplements, may stimulate digestive upset and in turn bloating and gas issues.
- Take time to eat slowly rather than gulping food.
- Take time to drink beverages rather than slurping them down quickly. Avoid using straws.
- Sucking on candy, suckers or through straws can also trigger bloating and unwanted gas issues.
- Avoid chewing gum.
- If you wear dentures, check to ensure they are fitted properly.
- If you are an excessively nervous individual, you may be unconsciously swallowing air which in turn leads to bloating and gas issues.
Bloating & Gas Symptoms Requiring a Doctor's Examination Include:
- Bloating or Excessive Gas accompanied by any of the following: heartburn, abdominal pain or discomfort, vomiting or diarrhea, unintentional weight loss and any signs of bleeding from the digestive track.
Diet Bites is a Trademark