Harvest Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe
Written by Sky Taylor, Diet Bites
Chicken Soup to Boost Immunity
You'll need about twenty minutes to prepare this immunity-boosting soup recipe. It contains all five official Food Groups from the American Food Pyramid when served with a cup of low fat milk.
1. Rice - a whole grain rich in niacin at 3.413 milligrams per cup. Niacin aids the digestive system, skin, and nerve function. Niacin is vital for converting food to energy.
Rice also contains other key vitamin and mineral elements necessary to optimum health.
These include: potassium, dietary fiber, protein - at an impressive 4.43 grams per cooked cup, iron and phosphorus. It's also low in saturated fat, total fat and sodium.
2. Celery - It's ridiculously low in calories at 16 kcals per chopped cup. One strip provides 2 milligrams of calcium benefits.
3. Onions - One cup contains about 65 calories and is a good source for protein [1.76 grams], dietary fiber [2.7 grams], calcium [37 milligrams] and potassium [234 milligrams].
4. Chicken - When lean it provides a blast of protein benefits to your daily diet, supporting muscle health.
5. Carrots - Excellent source of beta carotene to combat radical cell damage.
6. Tomatoes - Most assume tomatoes are part of the Vegetable Family but alas, they are classified as a fruit.
Ingredient for Harvest Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe
1 cup of cooked lean chicken, dark or white meat, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
1/2 cup of finely chopped celery
1/4 cup of diced bell pepper, any variety or color
2 small to medium tomatoes, jackets removed & chopped
5 medium sized carrots, chopped
1 cup of instant rice
4-6 chicken bouillon cubes, depending upon how salty you like your soup
You'll also need to add water - and the amount will depend upon how much broth you prefer in your soup.
Other optional additions to the recipe: black pepper, assortment of other vegetables such as corn and peas.
How to Prepare Diet Bites Harvest Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe
1. Add all the vegetables to a soup pot with a bit of water to cover and cook until they are almost tender.
2. Also add the chicken bouillon cubes to the soup pot. Stir occasionally to ensure that sticking doesn't occur - and to ensure that the cubes are dissolved fully.
3. Add the chicken, the rice and more water.
4. Cook until the soup is hot and bubbly.
We like to serve our chicken soup & rice recipe with a side of golden cornbread and a serving of reduced fat milk.
Healthy Chicken Soup Recipe
Low in Calories & Fat Grams
Chicken Soup - Just like mom used to make - only healthier!
Ingredients for Low Calorie Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 cup of cubed chicken, skin/bones removed
- 2 or more chicken bullion cubes
- 1 cup of dried noodles, any variety (Ramen noodles work well)
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions & celery
- 1/2 bag of carrots, tops removed, then sliced into large chunks
In a deep pot, add olive oil and heat until warm. Add chicken, chopped onion/celery and allow vegetables to clarify and chicken to cook. Add about 3 cups of water, the bullion cubes and the chunky carrots. Allow to cook until the carrots are 1/2 way done then add the dried noodles.
Add water so that it covers the soup mixture about 1 inch. Cook until noodles are done. Salt and pepper soup as desired.
Serve with cornbread if desired.
Low Calorie Renaissance Diet & Medieval Weight Loss Recipes
Minstrel Soup, a Low Fat Soup Recipe
Always allow 2 to 3 inches of liquid above the chicken mixture. Remove chicken & bone while barley continues to cook.
Boil chicken legs, bay leaf & pearled barley over medium heat for 20 minutes, either covered or uncovered. Allow 2-3 inches of water above chicken for cooking. Add more water as soup cooks.
Return boned chicken to pot. Add bullion, garlic, chopped onion, oregano, thyme, baby carrots, bell pepper, salt & pepper. Cook 10 more minutes.
Add potatoes & cook 10 more minutes. Add undrained tomatoes, macaroni & cubed eggplant & continue to cook for about 15 more minutes. Remember to add water as needed. Serves 6 for about 200 calories per serving.
Ingredients for this Low Fat Recipe
Spices: 1 Bay Leaf, ½ Teaspoon Thyme, ¼ Teaspoon Oregano, ½ Teaspoon Dried Parsley, Salt & Pepper
6 Chicken Legs
4-6 Chicken Bullion Cubes
½ Cup Shell, Spiral, or Elbow Macaroni
½ Eggplant, Cubed
1 Can Whole Tomatoes
1 Small Chopped Onion
½ Finely Chopped Bell Pepper – Any Color
3 Tablespoons Pearled Barley
1 Small Bag Baby Carrots
3 Potatoes, Peeled & Cut Into Chunks
Water to Cover Chicken Legs Whilst Boiling
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
Return to Low Calorie Soup Index
Ideal Body Weight
Weight Gain Side Effects
Do You Have a Slow or Fast Metabolism?
Diet Bites | Site Disclaimers
Diet Bites is a Trademark