Vitamin D Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA), Rich Food Sources
Written by Diet Bites
Natural Food Sources Containing Vitamin D:
The sun, certain species of fish including mackerel, kipper, tuna, sardines, salmon. May be found in free range eggs. One of the best sources for Vitamin D is the sun. Many products are fortified with Vitamin D - milk products in particular.
Vitamin D Nutrition Benefits for the Body:
General - Contributes to healthy bones and teeth; may assist in the treatment of cancer (breast, lung, colon), heart disease and may even combat the flu.
Therapeutic Uses for Vitamin D: Combatant for stressed bones and teeth. Immunity booster.
Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms:
Tooth decay, weak and brittle bones, muscular pain, spasms and weakness.
Rich Food Sources, Vitamin D
Vitamin D Offenders:
- Light: When the milk manufacturers switched from waxed cartons of milk to see through jugs, it was a move in the wrong direction. Exposed to light, Vitamin D is rapidly lost.
- When exposed to air, Vitamin D is rapidly lost.
- Acids also decrease the potency of Vitamin D.
Vitamin D Daily Recommended Amount μg/d (daily micrograms):
Health Warnings & Tips for Vitamin D:
- Vitamin D aids in the absorption of Vitamin A, Phosphorus & Calcium
- New recommendations for sun block discourages vigorous application. The individual not only blocks out harmful rays, but they block the absorption of Vitamin D. While one form of cancer (skin cancer) may be covered, there are thirty or more cancers that they body will be at risk for if they are a heavy sun block user.
Rule of Thumb: Use your good sense. Apply sunblock when necessary and meet with your doctor so that you both can decide 'when necessary' is for YOU.
Vitamins & Minerals That Impact Weight Loss, Weight Maintenance & Overall Health