Written by Sky Taylor, Diet Bites
Daily Recommendation for Fruit Group
How many fruits do you need in your daily diet from the awesome Fruit Group? You need two to four servings each and every day.
The great thing about fruits is that they are naturally low in calories and fat and they contain zero cholesterol. Most have substantial vitamin content as well as other nutritional benefits such as potassium, folic acid and dietary fiber.
Tips for Getting More Fruit Servings
Here are Diet Bites favorite tips for getting more fruit into your daily diet - and we'll follow the tips with the caloric values of some of the most popular fruits.
In Plain Sight
1. Keep fresh fruit visible. If it's out of sight, then it is going to be 'out of mind'. Place a colorful selection of fruits into a pretty tray or bowl. For bananas, hang them so that they will ripen naturally without bruising. They are a very delicate fruit.
Substitute Fruit for Fat in Recipes
2. Need to add some sugar to a recipe? Pause a moment and add fresh mashed fruit instead.
Canned for Long Shelf Life
3. Purchase canned fruits packed in their natural juices to keep sugar content low.
Fruit Juice Healthier Choice Over Soda
4. Fruit juice makes a healthy option and counts as a serving of fruit; also enjoy fruits and their natural juices for snack time.
Skip the Syrup, Reach for Sliced or Whole-Berry Fruits
5. Rather than piling your breakfast pancakes with syrup, top with berries and a serving of light whipped cream.
Add Nutritional Values to Foods, Recipes
6. When purchasing the lower calorie yogurt selections, add sliced sweet fresh fruit to boost nutritional values and flavor.
7. Making muffins? What about a spinach salad? A cabbage slaw? Toss in some dried raisins or cranberries.
8. Look for fruit that is in-season when shopping at your market or fruit stand. Melons are best in mid to late summer while berries are at their peak in mid to late spring.
9. A quick, healthy dessert is to add drained pineapple tidbits along with English walnuts or pistachios to non fat or low fat whipped topping. Add a dash of ground cinnamon; gently fold and fill the dessert containers.
10. Be sure to wash your fruit as soon as you get home from the market. Dry with a clean towel and store them accordingly.