Diet & Plans
Reducing Body Fat
Belly Fat Articles
Tahini Calories & Nutrition
Written by Diet Bites
Tahini - Sesame Seed Paste
The most common type of tahini is a health-wise sesame butter created with the roasted and toasted kernels of the sesame seed. Talk about rich in essential fatty acids! Tahini is loaded.
But due to the high fat content, it's also loaded in calories.
Tahini Calorie Comparison
Tahini made from the roasted and toasted kernels contains 89 calories per Tablespoon.
Tahini sesame butter made from the raw and stone ground kernels contains 86 calories per Tablespoon - slightly lower than its roasted counterpart.
Smear a little on toast to add a nutty edge.
Mix with minced garlic, garbanzo beans (chick peas) and lemon juice and you've created a Middle Eastern delight which goes by the name of Hummus.
How is Tahini Made?
Unfortunately, one can't whip up a batch of tahini in a matter of minutes as the process is ultra involved.
For practical purposes, it's best to purchase prepared tahini, then personalize it by adding your favorite tasty additions.
Tahini is commercially made as follows:
- sesame seeds soaked in water for approximately 1 day
- soaked seeded are crushed then soaked again in ultra-salty water to separate the bran from the kernels
- as the bran sinks, the kernels are skimmed off
- kernels are roasted or grilled
- roasted kernels are ground into tahini paste
Tahini Nutrition Information, Including Tahini Calories, Fat Grams, Carbs
Ingredients in your pantry that will enhance tahini include:
- lemons, limes and other citrus-based fruits
- dried or finely chopped fresh parsley
- spices such as ground cumin and chili powder