Diet Bites Logo

Calcium Recommended Daily Allowance
[RDA]

Article Written By Sky Taylor, Diet Bites

The following chart depicts the recommended daily allowance for calcium, including food sources.

Calcium RDA Chart

Data Chart Created & Copyrighted by Diet Bites, All Rights Reserved

Age

RDA
mg's

Level Considered Safe for Daily Consumption mg

Food Sources

Symptoms of Excessive Consumption

Health Notes

Infants

Birth - 6 months

210

ask physician

Non-fat dairy sources tend to contain more calcium skim milk, cheese, yogurt, tofu, corn tortillas, kale, Chinese Cabbage.

Kidney stones, hypercalcemia, milk alkali syndrome, renal insufficiency

Too little calcium in the diet may lead to Osteoporosis.

Both prescription and over-the-counter medications may interact with calcium.

 

7 - 12 months

270

ask physician

Children

1 yr - 3 yrs

500

2,500 for all

 

4 yrs - 8 yrs

800

Males

9 yrs - 18 yrs

1,300

 

19 yrs - 50 yrs

1,000

 

51 yrs & older

1,200

Females

9 yrs - 18 yrs

1,300

 

19 yrs - 50 yrs

1,000

 

51 yrs & older

1,200

Pregnant

< 18 yrs

1,300

 

19 yrs - 30 yrs

1,000

 

31 yrs - 50 yrs

1,000

Lactating

< 18 yrs

1,300

 

19 yrs& older

1,000

 

Calcium Overdose

As is concurrent with too much of a good thing, certain risks may be posed when calcium intake is excessive.

If you feel that you have symptoms of excessive calcium consumption, please see your doctor for appropriate treatment.

Over 99% of daily calcium intake is stored in the bones and teeth where it works to maintain healthy structure.   Remaining < 1% is stored in blood, muscles and fluid in-between cells.

What is the function of calcium in the body?

muscle & blood vessel contraction/expansion

hormone/enzyme secretion

balance body fluids

Assists in blood clotting, muscle contraction, nerve transmission, tooth & bone formation.

Best Food Sources for Calcium include:

Low fat, skim and non-fat dairy products such as yogurt, milk, ricotta cheese, buttermilk, cheese

Examples of Best Calcium Food Sources:

Calcium-Fortified Cereals contain from 100-1,000 mg

Soy Beverage, Calcium-Fortified - 1 cup contains from 80-500 mg

Skim Milk - 1 cup contains 352 mg

Whole Milk - 1 cup holds 290 mg

Turnip Greens - 1/2 cup has 99 mg (cooked)

Chicory - 1/2 cup of chicory has 90 mg (raw)

Kale - 1/2 cup contains 90 mg (cooked)

Beet Greens - 1/2 cup has 82 mg (cooked)

Chinese Cabbage - 1/2 cup holds 74 mg (raw)

What is considered a serving size?

1 cup of milk, Soy Beverage

1 cup of cereal

1.5 ounces of natural cheese OR 2 ounces of processed cheese

1 cup of yogurt

1/2 cup of kale, turnip greens, Chinese cabbage (raw), chicory (raw), beet greens

Tips For Meeting Calcium Requirements

Reach for calcium-rich beverages such as skim milk rather than soda

Switch out your regular cereal for calcium-fortified cereal

Sprinkle on the natural goodness of natural cheese on salads, soups, and sandwiches

Rather than pudding for dessert try mixing a few Tablespoons of light whipped topping with a cup of skim yogurt.

Things You Need to Know Before You Begin Any Diet

Related Articles

10 Metabolism Facts

 

5 Great Reasons to Lose Weight

Diet Bites | Disclaimers

Diet Bites is a Trademark