Grains for Dieters
Article by Diet Bites
Daily Intake Recommendations for Grain Group Selections
Looking for a few good grains to insert into your healthy weight loss plan? After all, this Basic Food Group recommends more daily servings than any other group - with the minimum recommendation at 6 servings.
Healthy Grain Group Choices for Dieters, Whole Over Refined
Great selections include whole grains and at least one-half of the amount that you choose for your plate should be of whole grain variety.
These are rich in dietary fiber content which in turn assist in sweeping toxins from the gut. They are a vital key to digestive health.
Grain Group: Cereal Tips for Dieters
1. Be sure to measure out serving size as most contain 100-plus calories per serving.
2. A serving generally ranges from 1/2 to 1 ½ cup. Granola mixes often hold 150 kcals or more per 1/2 cup serving, so be sure to check the nutrition label before pouring into your cereal bowl.
3. Using reduced fat milk will also assist in keeping calories under control.
4. Pair your whole grain cereal with fresh fruit such as sliced banana or whole berries for an added burst of nutritional benefits.
5. Cereal makes an excellent wholesome snack - straight from the box, without milk. Be sure to measure the recommended serving size. It's just too easy to go overboard.
Dieting Tips for Rice, Couscous, Pasta
1. As with your cereal, be sure to use a measuring cup until you get accustomed to serving sizes.
2. Generally, one cup equals a serving and where rice, pasta and couscous are involved.
3. Rice, Couscous and Pasta all contain about 200 kcals per 1 cup, when cooked.
Grain Group: Bread Tips for Dieters
1. Those infused with other whole grains boost nutritional values. For example, bread topped with honey and oats add health. Breads that contain fruits and nuts also add nutritional values.
2. The sweet-based breads such as banana nut bread or cinnamon raisin make healthier and lighter calorie choices over cupcakes, doughnuts, candy bars, pies and cookies.
3. Substitute the recommended amount of cooking oil with mashed fruit in homemade quick breads and save fat and calories.
4. When milk is listed in the recipe, 100% fruit juice or prepared tea can often be substituted. Another option is the coconut milk which contains a skinny 80 calories per cup at the market. It can be found in the dairy section.
Unhealthier Grain Group Sources While Dieting
The following selections from this Food Group contain the most fat over their peers. The amounts that are given are based on fat grams.
Diet Bites Related Articles
At times the recipe is enriched with vitamins and minerals. We're not a fan of this process and feel that these are best obtained for the body via natural foods....
There are more than 2.5 dietary fiber grams contained in Apache Bread in addition to about 3.5 milligrams of iron. These two areas of nutrition is where this recipe shines towards good health values....
Most bread recipes are minimal in fatty acid content unless eggs are added. In this situation, the cholesterol content rises significantly - and the more eggs used in the recipe, the higher the cholesterol reading....
Diet Bites is a Trademark